Richard L. Stern Esq.
RICHARD L. STERN, was admitted to practice in March 1978. Mr. Stern is a graduate of The Ohio State University and spent his junior year studying in England at the University of Surrey. Mr. Stern received his law degree from Hofstra Law School in 1977. He has been practicing bankruptcy law exclusively more than 25 years. He is also very active with the Suffolk County Pro Bono Bankruptcy Project and volunteers his time on a regular basis. He has represented hundreds of individuals and numerous corporations before the United States Bankruptcy Court.
He is the recipient of the New York State Bar Association Pro Bono Service Awards for 1992 and 1996. In addition he has been recognized by his colleagues at the Suffolk County Bar Association in 1991 and 2002 with a Special Recognition Award from the Pro Bono Foundation for his work in the Pro Bono Project Bankruptcy Clinic and a Director's Award in 2005. Rick received a Partners in Justice Award from Nassau/Suffolk Law Services for his work on behalf of the indigent and needy in 2003. He is a panel Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee, as appointed through the Department of Justice. Rick has the honor of being elected as Dean of the Suffolk Academy of Law and he also serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the Suffolk County Bar association.
- New York, 1978
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1978
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1978
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York
- J.D. - 1977
- University of Surrey - Junior Year at Ohio State University, Guildford, England
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- B.A. - 1974
- Major: History
Honors and Awards
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Pro Bono Foundation Award, 1994
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Pro Bono Foundation Award, 2002
- Chairman, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law Committee
- Chairman, Suffolk County Bar Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Member
- Suffolk County Academy of Law, Member
- Pro Bono Bankruptcy Clinic of Suffolk County, Member
- Suffolk County Pro Bono Committee, Member
- Eastern District of New York, U.S. Standing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Trustee, 1992 - Present